Introduce Yourself

General off topic discussion

Moderators: Moderator, Discussion Moderator

IceCube
Site Admin

Introduce Yourself

Post by IceCube » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 am

Feel free to introduce yourself! How did you hear about Freezenet? Is there anything you'd like to say about yourself?

IceCube
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by IceCube » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:28 am

I'm Drew Wilson. I often go by the name of IceCube. I've been writing news articles about file-sharing and copyright since 2005. Built this site in 2013 and now I have a place to call home once again.

It's been a really long journey to get to this point. It was filled with ups and downs for sure, but I am happy to be here. Don't know where all of this will lead, but I guess I will be finding out! :)

W31n3r

Post by W31n3r » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:51 am

Hi.

Been visiting this site some time now, don't know if you remember me drew, but we used to be regulars back in the old zeropaid days. Glad to see you've hooked up a forum now, hopefully some of the old crew will come across it like I did and join. Miss the old gang. :)

IceCube
Site Admin

Post by IceCube » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 am

Oh, I definitely remember you! How're things these days?

Yeah, the forums have been on the to-do list since the launch of the site, but it wasn't until this year that I could finally work on it. Took the better part of three months to install, tweak, and bugfix to get going, but it's finally a reality now! To be honest, I wasn't sure anyone from the ZeroPaid days would remember me after taking this much time trying to set everything up.

Potato was actually keeping tabs on me off and on through Twitter all this time which was nice. Since the announcement of the forums went over Twitter, I'm a bit surprised she hasn't popped in yet. Probably busy these days though, so I wouldn't blame her.

Anyway, feel free to make yourself at home here. :)

W31n3r

Post by W31n3r » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:17 am

Will do man👍

ywd67

Post by ywd67 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:36 am

YWD67. I'm from the old Zeropaid group.

IceCube
Site Admin

Post by IceCube » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:29 am

Hey man! How's it going? :)

someone

Post by someone » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:17 am

Hey Icecube. If you're the same one, we were together on NZBS.org for about 7 years. (Then one week I moved from one coast to the other and another week getting a new ISP found NZBS had closed up. <sadness>)

IceCube
Site Admin

Post by IceCube » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:25 am

Hey someone,

Did some looking around about when nzbs closed. It seems like that was a recent thing. I was actually thinking for some reason that this was something I might have been on a long time ago and am struggling to remember. It pains me to admit, but I'm not the same IceCube as the person you are no doubt referring to on that site.

The sites I was a part of previously were ZeroPaid and Slyck for the most part. I've been mostly about writing news about file-sharing and other digital issues. I only have a brief passing experience with UseNet back when ISPs offered connections with small caps for free.

Still, you are more than welcome to stick around. Maybe others will stop on by confusing me with that other IceCube out there? We're always on the lookout for more people to hang out here. :)

someone

Post by someone » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:18 pm

The proprietor of NZBs had the best search provider for ten years, but it took time and effort, and a lot changes in a person's life in 10 years so, on the 10th anniversary he gave a week's notice (or maybe the week before the 10th -- while I checked the site daily I perfectly missed the announcement/discussion before it was gone. I still miss it and the expertise of the users there, so it's good to have these forums.