2020 BET Awards' 'in memoriam' segment includes Willie Brown, who is alive

Weird or funny offbeat news as submitted by users

Moderators: Moderator, News Moderator

IceCube
Site Admin

2020 BET Awards' 'in memoriam' segment includes Willie Brown, who is alive

Post by IceCube » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Awards shows often get criticism for the celebrities they leave off their “in memoriam” lists. But the 20th BET Awards made waves Sunday night for a different reason. They eulogized a San Francisco luminary who is very much alive: former mayor Willie Brown.

The awards show on CBS, airing virtually because of the coronavirus pandemic, was paying tribute to recently departed Black stars when things got confusing. A screen capture of the segment, posted by viewers to Twitter, reads, “Willie Lewis Brown Jr., Politician,” complete with his picture.

However, this Willie Brown is very much alive at the age of 86. He regularly writes op-ed pieces for the San Francisco Chronicle, including one that was published June 13.

The Willie Brown that BET almost certainly meant to eulogize was the Hall of Fame Oakland Raiders cornerback who died last year at the age of 78.

It didn’t take long for word of the gaffe to reach Brown as many confused viewers on social media fact-checked the show. KQED reporter Joe Fitzgerald Rodriguez tweeted that he called Brown and that he responded with his trademark wit: "I'm not gonna correct them. Why correct them? I'm gonna make sure all my creditors take notice. The debt, is canceled.”

Source

Oops.