Retired police dog dumped at Mississippi shelter

Weird or funny offbeat news as submitted by users

Moderators: Moderator, News Moderator

IceCube
Site Admin

Retired police dog dumped at Mississippi shelter

Post by IceCube » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT via CNN Wire) -- A retired police K-9 dumped at a Mississippi animal shelter has a new "old" home.

The Labrador retriever named Ringo served nine years with the Jackson Police Department.

Before he became an officer, Ringo was trained by Randy Hare at the Alpha Canine Training Center in Jackson.

He recently was thought to be living in retirement with his handler, but that wasn't the case. Ringo was found at a local animal shelter and adopted by Hare after being abandoned by his handler.

"I don't know that there is a word for being both hurt and mad but I was both of them. And I still am. You know, it's just... you just don't turn your back on something like that that's been with you for nine years," Hare said. "Next thing we knew, we got a call from an animal shelter in Madison that Ringo was actually being housed there and up for adoption."

Jackson Police said once they were made aware of the issue, they reassigned Ringo's former handler to patrol duty, what many consider a demotion.

Source

Wow. Just wow.